Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Big Hole in my Wallet

After postponing the Father's Day + Father's Birthday celebration for abt a week, we had decided to visit Ippudo@Mandarin Gallery on Tuesday (24th June) for a meal, which also served as the celebration. Since the restaurant doesn't accept reservation, we made arrangement to meet there at 7pm and informed my dad to come home earlier from work so that we can make our way there on time to meet my sis and bro as they were heading there straight after work.

On Tuesday, Ivan came down to my house early and then we would drive down to Orchard Road. We waited for my parents and my mum finally came back at 6.30pm, which was nothing unusual. The unusual thing was that my dad wasn't back home yet. He usually come home at 6pm+ if he's not working OT. I clearly remembered that my mum reminded him to come home early the day before but why was he not back yet? I gave him a call and it ended up that he was still working, at 6.45pm. He complained that we didn't tell him what time we were going for dinner, but I was like, "What?!? We told you to come back early already right?"

"How I know your 'early' refers to when?" he replied.


There's no word to describe his absent-mindedness and/or absurdness.

We ended up ordering our food and were given a seat at 8pm+.. In my opinion, the ramen there are quite good, but the pancakes are the ones that I like most. My bro commented that Ippudo's ramens standard are somewhat similar to Ramen Keisuke Tori King's (can be found in Tanjong Pagar/Bugis) ones, however the latter is much cheaper, got more sides in the soup and they offer free flow eggs and beansprouts. My parents also thought that the ramens were too salty for their liking. Clearly, they didn't really appreciate the food even though it was a whopping $210+ in total.

"We should have gone Ajisen instead," my bro said jokingly.  

I think we should just bring them to some hawker centres like Chomp Chomp which sell good Hokkien Mee/ Satay/ Stingray etc... just kidding.

Personally, I don't think that I will initiate to visit Ippudo again. Ramen isn't the type of Japanese food I like best, that's why I don't think it's worth paying $20+ for one bowl. If I'm paying $20+ for one super good Chicken Chop or Fish & Chip then maybe I might consider.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment