Monday, June 2, 2014

Project Sunflower

I have recently embarked on a "project" to grow sunflowers. The inspiration came when WendyK, Zixian and I were having a conversation during a lecture break. Another reason why I wanted to do that was because my grandmother used to plant sunflowers at the "backyard" of my house when I was young (my house was on the ground floor before I moved to my current one), so I just feel like doing the same, probably as a form of commemoration, or maybe to relive those moments.

Although I wanted to do it, I had no idea where to get the seeds from. As such, I passed on this difficult question to Ivan and he was helpful enough, putting his 100% into helping me look for it despite his attempt to talk me out of it by saying that it's difficult to grow sunflowers in Singapore etc..

so TAAADAAA~ we managed to get the seeds from a nursery in Bedok, spending $11+ for the pots, soil and 3 packets of sunflowers seeds of different species. As I just finished my last paper that day, we went ToGather Cafe for lunch and tried the ice cream at Honey & Milk Gelato before heading off to catch a movie.


A few days later, we planted those seeds together, 3 seeds in 1 small pot. Fortunately, 2 seeds sprouted within 4 days! I was really delighted to see the shoots as germination of the seeds seem to be the hardest part to get through. As of now, the seedlings seem to be growing well and we had also changed it out into a bigger pot as the roots of the seedlings had already penetrated the bottom of the small pot. We planted 2 different species in separate pots. It seemed that the germination process of the seeds in the other pot failed entirely. We restarted again with new seeds, planting it deeper this time. Hopefully it will work out fine this time :)  




No comments:

Post a Comment